Every athlete knows the importance of maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. Whether you’re an elite competitor or someone who simply enjoys exercising, it is important to stay on top of your fitness regimen. However, many people struggle with muscle soreness long after they’ve finished their workout. This can make it difficult to focus on anything else other than how much pain they are in! Luckily, there’s a natural solution that might help: CBD for muscle recovery.
A Background on CBD: Why Choose CBD for Muscle Recovery?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a cannabis compound that has been used for centuries both recreationally and for healthcare. In recent years, CBD oil has become increasingly popular as a natural alternative to conventional practices—with CBD oil for muscle recovery showing some promise. Many people think CBD is synonymous with smoking marijuana and that it is simply another means of getting high using the plant. The truth is, while CBD is extracted from the cannabis plant, it doesn’t have any psychoactive effects. Thus, CBD oil for muscle recovery is a perfect alternative to consider.
CBD for muscle recovery and other ailments
CBD provides all the natural effects that the hemp plant would normally provide. It makes the user feel calmer and more relaxed. Aside from that, it eases the aches and pains of the body and lowers your overall anxiety. Some suppliers market the product as something to help promote and induce sleep, which it may certainly do. Overall, CBD oil for muscle recovery is worthy to take into mind because of these highly advantageous effects.
How To Use CBD for muscle recovery and its other advantages
There are many ways to use CBD for muscle recovery. It can come in tincture, spray, vape pen cartridge, or even edibles like gummies and softgels. These all have their benefits and drawbacks that you should research before purchasing products that hold CBD oil for muscle recovery. CBD oil is well-loved by people. It is nothing more than CBD crystals suspended in olive oil, which can be applied directly to the skin or consumed orally with a dropper. That’s why CBD oil for muscle recovery has quickly become a buzz for athletes and weightlifters.
CBD For Muscle Recovery: Now, What Happens to My Body?
There’s potential in CBD for muscle recovery. It is a common misconception that CBD only affects the mind and that it makes you more chill and relaxed. Studies have found that CBD offers several benefits to the recipient’s body. Technically—the way CBD for muscle recovery works is that as cannabinoids, it affects the body’s cannabinoid receptors, which are a part of the endocannabinoid system (ECS) that governs the brain’s communication with the body’s nerves. And to put everything simply, by affecting how the brain communicates with the nerves, CBD essentially changes how your body operates.
The science behind CBD for muscle recovery
According to clinical studies, CBD has both anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties. Researches have found that CBD reduces the amount of pro-inflammatory cells found in the body after physical strain. Not only does it help reduce the pain felt by the workout, but CBD for muscle recovery is also supported by its direct involvement in preventing swollen muscles. Furthermore, CBD helps protect your cells from free radicals, which play a major part in cancer, strokes, and aging.
Indications on effects of CBD for muscle recovery
As mentioned earlier, CBD affects how your body operates, mostly in how it feels and perceives things. This effect of CBD has many practical applications for short-term and long-term users alike. Its primary use is in pain-relieving abilities—thus making CBD for muscle recovery a great contender. In tweaking the communication of the nerves, CBD numbs your body to pain. If you have any bodily injuries or stress, CBD for muscle recovery may be a faster option. It may reduce the swelling of the injury and protect it from harmful cells found within your system. In addition, in terms of your brain and mental issues, CBD is a known contributor to lower stress levels and increased dopamine. Increased dopamine helps you combat depression and other serious mental illnesses.
Common uses, according to the anecdotal evidence
The beauty of CBD is found in its versatility. There is no single best use of the cannabis compound. The best use for CBD is often what the user needs the most—even CBD for muscle recovery. However, not all uses make up the same dosages, applications, and other nuances. With that said, here are some of the most common uses of CBD:
- Pain Relief – Traces of the marijuana plant being used for pain relief have been found dating back as early as 2900 BC. Though its exact pain-relieving capabilities are unclear, patients have reported improvements and pain alleviation with CBD intake.
- Anxiety and Depression – People are not only considering CBD for muscle recovery, but CBD is also quickly rising as an effective anxiety and depression reliever. The widespread medications used today for these mental illnesses are full of harmful and difficult side effects that CBD does not share.
- Chronic Illnesses – While CBD is not a miracle cure for chronic illnesses, it can help those suffering with them cope with the struggles of daily life. People suffering from the harsh side effects of cancer and cancer treatment often look for different ways to help them. CBD is one such avenue that has been explored, and it’s seen as a great means to up the potency of some drugs for cancer. Research studies behind the potential of CBD for muscle recovery, pain management, and other symptoms stay very promising.
CBD and Muscles Recovery: The Athletes’ Friend
CBD has been known to have a wide range of benefits for athletes, weightlifters, and physically active individuals. The role of CBD for muscle recovery is not only beneficial but also necessary if you plan on getting the most out of your workout routine. By now, and by having read the previous sections of this article, you should be well aware of its other potentials. Focusing on the effects of CBD for muscle recovery, you get a clearer picture of the concrete ways that this cannabis compound can benefit you.
The Intricacies of CBD for Muscle Recovery
As mentioned earlier, CBD after a workout may help with pain relief and inflammation. Furthermore, its anti-oxidative properties help to combat oxidative stress which supports the potential of CBD for muscle recovery. A study found that CBD was reported to exhibit beneficial properties in the physiology and biochemical makeup of physically active individuals. The reports and results of the study itself do not warrant any significant breakthroughs just yet. Regardless, CBD oil studies for muscle recovery present pieces of evidence showing benefits of CBD for muscle recovery process that may have a solid case.
CBD muscle recovery balm can also be used as an alternative if you are unable to take anti-inflammatory medication due to its potentially harmful side effects. A study found that long-term usage of over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs can hinder the growth of your muscles. On the other hand, CBD for muscle recovery works with your body, not against it. As mentioned earlier, it works upon your body’s ECS and alters the way your nerves communicate. In a way, you can see it as CBD optimizing your body for a certain purpose, which in this case is seeing the CBD for muscle recovery work. In conclusion, CBD may provide a more natural method of recovering from strenuous workouts without any of the scary long-term effects they may provide.
CBD for Muscle Recovery: How it works for athletes?
The truth is, the human body was not designed for continuous and intense physical activity such as sports. It takes time for the body to adapt to the constant stress imposed by physical activities. Most athletes are familiar with joint and muscle pain, especially if they regularly play or train for their sport. Every jump, hard landing, rough fall, and strong hit an athlete takes leaves microscopic damage on the muscles and joints. Many athletes use topical numbing ointments to relieve themselves of the pain, but that is just a temporary fix to allow them to continue. Consider CBD muscle recovery cream as a two-in-one package, which may be good both for pain and inflammation.
CBD for Muscle Recovery: How it works for weightlifters?
Every successful weightlifter knows that rest is the key to a proper workout. While your body is awake and active, it cannot get the recovery it needs from the intense activities it went through. The micro-tears in your muscles from the workout need an ample amount of sleep to heal and grow stronger. The thing is, coupled with the pain of the workout, not everyone can get the required quality rest their muscles need. CBD oil for muscle recovery works to give weightlifters the repose that they need to heal their muscles. CBD is potent in helping those with insomnia get an ample amount of sleep, or in some cases, prolong it as CBD makes your body feel more at ease.
How to Use CBD for Muscle Recovery
After learning the positive effects that CBD has to offer, many would now wonder how they should go about using it, especially how to use CBD for muscle recovery. Contrary to what you may believe, there are many different ways you can apply and take CBD, and there is no one-size-fits-all for it. The different methods often serve different purposes or fit different preferences and needs. You can use CBD muscle recovery balm or cream, or you could take—and even savor—CBD in the form of food. Athletes may also wish to apply CBD topically in the form of a cream or ointment. Overall, versatility remains one of CBD’s strongest traits. As a result, you must be informed of the different procedures to know how to properly administer CBD for muscle recovery.
Proper Dosage of CBD for Muscle Recovery
The thing with CBD for muscle recovery is that there is no single dose that would work for all types of adults like regular OTC medicine would. In fact, tolerance to CBD can be built up over time so you may need to increase the dosage or take a break from it. Generally, based on how studies have administered it too, athletes will want to start will small doses of products with CBD oil for muscle recovery, starting from as little as 20 milligrams. From there, you will want to assess how responsive your body is to the compound and what your sensitivity is. If you can feel the aforementioned effects and benefits, then it is safe to say that CBD and other compounds may be working. If you don’t, then you may consider changing doses. Though many FDA-approved CBD products are available on the counter, it’s still best to get advice from a medical professional if you want to introduce yourself to different dosing of CBD for muscle recovery. A study concluded that the 1500mg/day limit is well tolerated by humans.
Types of CBD Application and How Best to Use CBD for muscle recovery
As mentioned earlier, there are many different ways to administer CBD to athletes and each method differs in both effectiveness and results. The best method for muscle recovery is determined on a case-to-case basis. Therefore, it would be best to familiarize yourself with the common applications of the best CBD for muscle recovery and how best to use them. Here are some of the most common and most preferable for athletes:
- Oral CBD products – The most popular method is taking CBD oil for muscle recovery orally. This may be in the form of CBD workout supplements and CBD soft gels. The latter is often preferred by those who are new to CBD because it does not have an unpleasant taste or odor. For the oil, all you need to do is to place it on your tongue and keep it there for 30 seconds to 1 minute before you swallow. Afterward, the waiting game for the slow effects of the CBD for muscle recovery starts. Nowadays, it’s an easy-to-apply choice of CBD for weightlifting and athletic fiends out there. Furthermore, it is easiest to determine the dosage of this method.
- Ingested CBD products – A common and often preferred alternative to the oral application is ingestion. This type of CBD application is different in the way the CBD oil is placed within a food item, or more commonly known as an “edible”. A CBD edible is commonly a sweet snack to mask the earthy taste and odor of the cannabis compound. Usually, examples are CBD post workout drink, CBD chocolate, CBD bars, etc. This is the easiest method to take in amounts of CBD for muscle recovery, as all you need to do is eat the infused edible and wait for the effects to take place.
- Inhaled or vaped CBD products – This method is perhaps the quickest to take effect. You can vape it using a CBD cartridge and a vaporizer. Inhalation of CBD takes the cannabis compound relatively faster to your lungs and into your bloodstream. The method gives the highest concentration of CBD, but it can also be harsh for beginners and regulars alike. According to CDC, there have been thousands of e-cigarettes- and vaping-related lung injuries reported as of February 2020. Athletes, who rely heavily on their stamina, may wish to avoid damaging their lungs with foreign compounds.
- Topical CBD products – The final method to optimize muscle recovery is by applying CBD muscle recovery balms, creams, or sprays to the skin. The cannabis compound is infused into the creams and ointments and absorbed by the skin when applied. CBD muscle recovery cream acts quite like the typical topical analgesics available on the market that you are probably quite familiar with. This type of CBD is best used if you want the positive effects of the compound in specific areas of the body and not throughout it. For athletes and weightlifters, this would typically be any joint or muscle pain that they may experience. This application method of CBD for muscle recovery offers quick relief. The only downside of this method is that the dosage is quite low and to receive high amounts of CBD, you would have to apply a lot of ointment.
When to Use CBD for Muscle Recovery
It may come as a surprise to you, but the time you administer CBD for muscle recovery in your body matters just as much. For the best effects, it helps if you consider the timing of the CBD application to reap the most benefits from it. Improper timing can seriously impede your activities and, in harsh cases, cause you harm or make you get into an accident. As a result, it would be best if you were informed about when to take CBD for joint and muscle recovery.
Best Time to Use CBD for Muscle Recovery
Much like the types of CBD application, choosing the t time to administer CBD for muscle recovery is a case-by-case basis. Again, this reiterates the importance of doing your research and staying informed on the topic. Typically, you will want to administer CBD only after you have finished your physical activity. The time after wherein you do it. Here are some of the times where you may want to take CBD for muscle recovery:
- After Physical Activity – Some athletes take CBD for muscle recovery after they have finished their workouts. While ingesting CBD for muscle recovery before a workout can help increase your endurance and reduce inflammation, it is not recommended, as its benefits are only temporary. It makes little sense to use such a product before an activity when you need all its beneficial effects to take place after. Not only can you see the potential of CBD oil for muscle recovery, but it can also help with anti-inflammation and give your body the quality rest it needs to recover.
- Before Bed – For most people, CBD for muscle recovery is taken before bedtime. It is the perfect time for such an application as it will not affect your work and daily activities negatively and you can reap all its benefits throughout your restful sleep. Athletes and weightlifters take CBD for muscle recovery before they go to bed as it may help in getting the proper amount of quality rest to recover and perform to the fullest the next day. CBD for muscle recovery works wonders for those athletes that find themselves getting restless if they do not remain active.
- Before or After Meals – It may seem like a nonfactor, but the time you take CBD and the time you eat your meals is important. Generally, you should never take CBD before eating or on an empty stomach. High-fat food can increase oral cannabidiol absorption, according to a study. Taking CBD for muscle recovery on an empty stomach is akin to wasting it because the effects will be minimal. While your body is digesting the food in your stomach, the biochemical process allows the cannabis compound to be maximized to its highest efficacy.
- Aches and Pain – CBD oil or CBD muscle recovery creams can also be used as soon as you feel a pang. It is especially applicable constantly if the CBD is in the form of topical cream or ointments. Generally, if you have pain in a certain area, do not be afraid to administer CBD topical directly on it. This is a great add-on even just for those who just are using CBD for muscle recovery. However, it should be noted that you should take into consideration the previous points before committing to taking the cannabis compound.
Safety and Side Effects
Despite the potential of CBD oil for muscle recovery, CBD is not without its side effects. CBD should be used with scrutiny and care as to not harm yourself in the process. Overall, CBD has been found safe for humans to use regularly, but that is no excuse to get careless. Stay informed and make the right decisions before you attempt to use CBD for muscle recovery.
- Side Effects of CBD – CBD has side effects like most things in life do. However, the side effects from CBD are often tolerable and with zero to low severity. Common side effects include dry mouth, dehydration, and fatigue. Before taking CBD for muscle recovery, it’s best to know more about the CBD product you’re eyeing on
- Mixing CBD for muscle recovery with other medications – The potential for it to have a negative reaction with your other medications is the main concern when considering CBD for muscle recovery. Blood thinners, for example, are often a bad pairing with CBD. It’s better to do your research or consult a doctor about your medications.
The potential of CBD for muscle recovery has been reaching the realm of physical fitness, gym training, and even professional sports. At this point, with the growing researches on its science and plus the anecdotal evidences, as mentioned above in this article, it’s worthy for consideration, indeed! Just make sure to consult your doctor or a sports science professional before adding CBD for muscle recovery to your routine.
Does CBD help with muscle recovery?
Researchers have found that CBD reduces the amount of pro-inflammatory cells found in the body after physical strain. Not only does it help reduce the pain felt by the workout, but also supports the muscle recovery process by its direct involvement in preventing swollen muscles.
How much CBD should I take for muscle recovery?
The thing with CBD for muscle recovery is that there is no single dose that would work for all types of adults like regular OTC medicine would. In fact, tolerance to CBD can be built up over time so you may need to increase the dosage or take a break from it. Generally, based on how studies have administered it too, athletes will want to start with small doses of products with CBD oil for muscle recovery, starting from as little as 20 milligrams. From there, you will want to assess how responsive your body is to the compound and what your sensitivity is. If you can feel the aforementioned effects and benefits, then it is safe to say that CBD and other compounds may be working. If you don’t, then you may consider changing doses.
How does CBD help muscle recovery?
CBD affects how your body operates, mostly in how it feels and perceives things. This effect of CBD has many practical applications for short-term and long-term users alike. Its primary use is in pain-relieving abilities—thus making CBD for muscle recovery a great contender. In tweaking the communication of the nerves, CBD numbs your body to pain. Also, it may reduce the swelling of the injured muscles and protect them from harmful cells found within your system.
What CBD helps with muscle recovery?
There are various types of CBD products that can boost muscle recovery. For instance, you can use pure CBD oil, CBD softgels, CBD gummies, CBD balms and creams, etc.
How to use CBD cream for muscle recovery?
You can apply CBD muscle recovery cream directly to the skin area with painful sensations at times you find suitable for yourself:
- After physical activity
- Before or after a meal
- Before bed
- After feeling a pang