How long does it take CBD oil to work for pain? This is the most frequently asked question by those who suffer from the pain of a different nature and look for the natural solutions to deal with it.
In this article, we suggest taking a look at the possibilities of CBD Oil for joint pain management to help you set the right expectations in regard to its effects, benefits, and response speed.
Table of Contents
- How Does CBD Oil Work for Joint Pain – The Endocannabinoid System-Based Answer
- So Is CBD Helpful for Joint Pain?
- Study 1 – Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis, 2017
- Study 2 – A Balanced Approach for Cannabidiol Use in Chronic Pain, 2020
- Study 3 – Joints for joints: cannabinoids in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, 2019
- Study 4 – Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviors in a rat model of arthritis, 2015
- So Is CBD Helpful for Joint Pain?
- What Affects CBD Oil Response Speed for Joint Pain?
- CBD for Joint Pain Relief Consumption Advice
How Does CBD Oil Work for Joint Pain – The Endocannabinoid System-Based Answer
As you know, all the processes in our body are regulated by the nervous system, namely, by the brain – its central processor. The human nervous system is quite complex, and some researchers agree that it also has a subtle but very important layer inside.
This layer is called the Endocannabinoid system which consists of the receptors located in our brain, glands and cells. For example, according to the research, CB1 receptor is responsible for pain signals regulation and CB2 receptor is the one that regulates the way our body responds to inflammation.
There are also endocannabinoids in the human body that affect these receptors. Cannabinoids contained in CBD-infused products connect to the endocannabinoids of the human body, enhancing the way the receptors work and helping them respond to pain and inflammation in a healthier way, reducing the inflammation processes and decreasing the painful sensations.
So Is CBD Helpful for Joint Pain?
According to the research available, CBD may be an option for dealing with joint pain provoked by arthritis. Let’s briefly review the studies to better understand its potential.
As the name suggests, this research can be reviewed as a piece of evidence in favor of CBD products for joint pain relief. Still, this study was conducted on rats, so it is necessary to leave critical room for possible CBD interactions with the human nervous system and brain.
Study 2 – A Balanced Approach for Cannabidiol Use in Chronic Pain, 2020
While this research isn’t dedicated to joint pain and arthritis only, it dwells on the CBD pain management properties. The results are quite positive – CBD may be an option for dealing with chronic pain, plus it may be useful in severe cases when traditional painkillers are no longer working.
This is a deeper study that dwells right on the impact of CBD on the endocannabinoid system, namely the CB1 and CB2 receptors we have mentioned above. The authors of the research make an important statement – CBD can be effective for joint pain only when these two receptors are targeted, and this is just the way CBD works.
In the framework of this research, the possibilities of topical CBD for reducing joint pain in rats have been studied. The results of the study are quite positive – the authors agree that topical CBD can be a potent option in this case, and no side effects were reported.
Still, the users’ reviews of CBD topicals for joint pain are somewhat controversial, and we will get back to this issue to help you make a fully informed choice.
What Affects CBD Oil Response Speed for Joint Pain?
How long does it take for CBD oil to work for joint pain? The right answer to this question depends on several important factors and your CBD consumption behavior, so let’s review them to develop a joint pain management strategy that will work for you.
CBD Strength and Dosage: How Much CBD Should I Take?
As you know, CBD products come with a different CBD potency. For example, CBD oil, as a rule, may contain 500-3500 mg of CBD per bottle. The choice of the right CBD strength in your case depends on the severity of your pain and your previous CBD experience.
For example, CBD oil with 500-1000 mg of CBD may be enough for dealing with periodic joint pain but if you are suffering from chronic and severe arthritis, you are better to consider a more potent option. The speed of CBD response to joint pain is also strength and dosage-dependent – the more drops of high strength you consume, the faster you may feel the result.
Nevertheless, make sure to start small and carefully monitor the ways your body reacts to CBD – it will help you to define the CBD strength and the corresponding dosage that will work in your specific case. Don’t forget to ask your healthcare professional for advice before getting started with CBD since some of the medicines are CBD-incompatible.
You may also find out more on how to choose CBD oil in our dedicated article.
In addition to diverse CBD potency choices, you may also choose from several CBD product types. The right answer to the question “how long does it take for CBD oil to work for pain” depends on the product type as well.
When it comes to dealing with joint pain, most CBD users agree that CBD oil tincture is one of the most effective and quickly responding options. According to their reviews, CBD oil begins to act for joint pain 15-25 minutes after intake. When taken sublingually, CBD tinctures have the highest bioavailability and may promise quite a fast effect. Such a speedy response can be explained by the fact that CBD is bypassing the digestive tract and enters the blood via the mucous membrane. Its effect may last for several hours.
Ready to give CBD oil a try and get an opportunity to take your joint pain under control? Choose organic and natural CBD oils in our store!
CBD Gummies and CBD Edibles
CBD gummies are another popular option for dealing with pain of a different nature. If we compare CBD gummies vs CBD oil, the latter works a little faster since CBD gummies need some time to digest and release CBD into your bloodstream. Still, their effect will also last longer because the process of digestion and absorption will be seamless. As for one more benefit of CBD gummies, this is quite a convenient solution to take on the go and support your well-being during the day. They can be a joint pain-control option that is always with you.
Right now, Unabis offers you to shop high-potency CBD gummies with free delivery and a satisfaction guarantee!
CBD topicals for pain relief are also well-known in the modern wellness market. As for their action mechanism, they should be applied locally to make an impact on the painful area. The research we have mentioned above states that CBD topicals are effective for dealing with joint pain in rats. The users’ reviews on Reddit are also positive. Here is an example:
- “CBD topicals are helpful!! (Just not in the same ways as ingesting it). Topicals work more in “direct area relief,” and are applied when needed. From sore muscles to arthritic pains, I have seen the topicals succeed in a variety of people’s lives.”
That is, according to the users’ reviews, CBD topicals may be another viable option for joint pain relief.
Meet our premium CBD balm for pain relief and order it with free delivery to any US state!
CBD products for smoking may promise the fastest and the most prominent pain relief effect since they have the highest bioavailability. In this case, CBD enters the blood instantly, via the lung vessels and begins to act in 5-7 minutes. The lovers of CBD smoking call it a quick “kick-in”, meaning that the effect is really fast and noticeable.
Still, smoking CBD isn’t an option that suits everyone. Firstly, there are a lot of controversial studies on its safety compared to other CBD consumption methods. Secondly, smoking is still smoking – with all its addictive potential. While CBD is believed not to be addictive by itself, smoking as a habit and a ritual can cause an addiction quite quickly. However, its super-fast effect is what makes CBD smokables attractive for potential users with various mental and physical health challenges.
Individual Biological Factors
CBD may work at different speeds when used by consumers of different ages, with different body weights, metabolism, and previous CBD experience. Let’s find out how these factors affect the way CBD works for joint pain.
To make CBD work faster and more effectively, you have to find out the right dosage for you, taking into account your weight as one of the decision-making factors. How much CBD should you take depending on your body weight?
Experts recommend taking 1-6 mg of CBD per 5 lbs or 10 kg of body weight. With the right dosage, you may expect that CBD for joint pain will work in the product-specific time frame regardless of your weight.
The speed of your metabolism directly affects the CBD response speed. The slower your metabolism is, the later CBD will enter the blood. To streamline the process of CBD absorption regardless of your metabolism type, experts recommend taking CBD tinctures sublingually right after a meal.
Susceptibility to Cannabidiol
Most users note CBD works quite well for them. There are also a lot of different research studies on the potential for CBD for various health conditions, and a very little share of focus group participants reported no effect.
Still, your individual reaction to CBD also matters for CBD response speed, and the deep reasoning of this statement is also hidden deep in the Endocannabinoid system. While the receptors of one person may connect and respond to CBD quite well, the receptors of others may remain unresponsive.
CBD for Joint Pain Relief Consumption Advice
Below are some simple tips that may help you to manage your joint pain with the help of CBD more effectively.
- Start small. As we have stated, the right CBD dosage and the speed of effect it may promise is always individual and CBD-product dependent. That’s why it is better to start with the lowest dosage possible to evaluate your body response and speed of the effect onset. Eat half-CBD gummy or use 3-5 CBD oil drops to find out the way CBD affects your body. Increase the dosage gradually until reaching the desired effect.
- Talk to your doctor. Arthritis is a chronic condition so, most likely, your doctor has already prescribed you some medicines to manage it. Make sure to get one more piece of advice from your therapist before getting started with CBD because it can be incompatible with some medicines. Your healthcare professional is likely to adjust your treatment strategy and suggest safer medicines to mix with CBD.
- Be aware of contraindications. Fortunately, CBD has quite a shortlist of contraindications. In addition to the fact that it doesn’t make a good match with some medicines, it is also not recommended for pregnant and nursing women, asthma, and diabetes sufferers (the latter should avoid CBD gummies or choose sugar-free solutions), and patients with recent organ transplantation.
- Buy from a reliable brand only. Buying hemp-derived CBD products of top-notch quality is already half a guarantee that it may be helpful for your joint pain (still, this is not the only CBD use case). Before making a purchase, make sure you are going to buy from a brand you can trust. A reliable CBD brand should be honest and transparent, the content they share should be free from overpromising and pure marketing statements, plus each of the products should be backed up with recent lab test results available instantly. They should also have a friendly support team, money-back and satisfaction guarantee, and user data protection tools on their website. Take some time to research the customers’ reviews as well – the experience they share is often very insightful but take only detailed and product-specific reviews into account.
And if you are looking for a reliable CBD brand you are at the right place! You are welcome to proceed with safe CBD shopping right now!
CBD products can be an option for joint pain relief. Their potential effectiveness is confirmed by numerous studies and users’ reviews. Still, the speed of CBD action for joint pain is always individual and depends on several different factors you have to take into account before making the final choice. The quality of the CBD product is one of them so make sure to buy it in a trusted place only.
On average, it takes 5 minutes – 1 hour for CBD to work depending on the CBD product you use and its potency, the consumed dosage, the severity of your pain, and the individual specifics of your body.
Use it as usual – just measure a few drops of CBD oil, place them under your tongue, hold them for 15-30 seconds and swallow.
On average, it takes 15-25 minutes for CBD oil to work for joint pain. This time frame may be shorter or longer depending on the CBD strength, dosage, and metabolism specifics.
On average, it takes 1-1,5 hours for CBD gummies to work for joint pain. According to the users’ reviews, the effect may last for several hours and even all day long if you consume CBD gummies of high potency.